These oils are used as Process Aids in rubber compounds.
- Processing aid –
- to assist mechanical breakdown
- reduce uncured compound viscosity
- permit incorporation of fillers
- reduce internal friction in mixing, calendering and extrusion
- reduce durometer or modulus
This blog will talk just a bit about some of the different types of oils in use in the rubber industry.
Pressure-Volume-Temperature (PVT) properties of oils place them in one of the following groups:
- good thermal and oxidative stability
- good high-temperature viscosity
- used in EP elastomers
- Methane, Ethane, Propane
- very available and inexpensive
- yield medium viscosity
- used in Nitriles and other elastomers
- Cyclopentane, Cyclohexane
- used in Natural Rubber and Neoprene
- Benzene, Toluene, Xylene
Thanks for reading. For all your custom rubber needs, contact us today at Goodyear Rubber.